How to choose the right toothpaste?
Posted by Varni Dental on Feb 8 2021, 09:17 AM
Ever found yourself looking at the colorful boxes of toothpaste on a store shelf, thinking which one suits you the best? Here, we offer some tips to help you make better-informed while choosing a toothpaste.
Oral hygiene is equally important as your overall health. Taking care of teeth is, hence, as important as taking care of your personal hygiene and health. For oral hygiene, picking a suitable toothbrush and toothpaste is very important, along with brushing your teeth twice a day. This will help prevent your teeth from gum diseases and tooth decay.
Here are some tips to keep in mind while choosing toothpaste:
- Presence of fluoride: While choosing a toothpaste, look for the ones containing fluoride. This is important as fluoride has anti-cavity properties that will fight against the bacteria that create tooth decay. Fluoride will also help in strengthening teeth enamel. Also, opt for the toothpaste, which has the American Dental Association's seal of approval.
- Anti-gingivitis: If you are suffering from gum disease, choose a toothpaste that has antibacterial properties. As we know, gum disease usually starts with bleeding in your gums. The inflammation will also be felt while brushing, which makes the teeth reddish. Inflammation and bleeding in the gums are the symptoms of gingivitis. Toothpaste with antibacterial properties will prevent your roots from inflammation and bleeding caused due to gingivitis.
- Desensitizing properties: If you have sensitive teeth, pick up the toothpaste with desensitizing properties. These kinds of toothpaste have ingredients that help to block the tubules and soothes the nerves in the mouth, thus giving relief from tooth sensitivity.
- Whitening properties: A set of white teeth can dramatically improve the aesthetics of your smile. Hence, pick the toothpaste with whitening properties and is effective in removing stains over the teeth. The whitening properties of the teeth can also help preserve the white color achieved with teeth whitening treatments.
- Anti-Plaque properties: Toothpaste with anti-plaque properties can control the buildup of plaque on the teeth surface, thus reducing the effect of bacteria on teeth and their surrounding tissues. This helps reduce the chances of developing Gum Disease. Plaque that is allowed to stay on teeth surface for a longer period of time, when hardens, get converted into tarter. Anti-plaque toothpaste has ingredients like Pyrophosphates, Zinc citrate, and triclosan, an antibiotic and antifungal agent that helps to destroy bacteria.
- Natural Toothpaste: If you have ever developed some allergy or discomfort while using a toothpaste containing chemicals, natural toothpaste can be a better option. They are made from herbal extracts and other natural ingredients.
- Toothpaste For Kids: Toothpaste for kids contains less amount of fluoride or no fluoride at all. They also contain fewer abrasive as their teeth contain much less mineral content than those of adults.
- Smokers Toothpaste: Smokers Toothpaste is specifically formulated for those who use tobacco. They contain strong abrasive that helps remove stains from teeth formed as a result of repeated drawing of tobacco smoke into their mouth.
As we discussed, choosing the right toothpaste is thus important to maintain proper dental hygiene. Make sure that your toothpaste caters to your specific needs; for example, if you have sensitive teeth, buy one that alleviates tooth sensitivity. Visit us for advice on choosing the best toothpaste for you.