What is Pediatric Dentistry and Why It is Important?
Posted by VARNI DENTAL on Sep 29 2021, 08:38 PM
Availing pediatric dentistry is the first and most crucial step in ensuring excellent oral health for your child. Children from the age of their first teething (6 to 12 months) to age 18 can consult a pediatric dentist who specializes in treating children and adolescents. Depending on your child’s age, a thorough exam of all teeth, gums, jaws, and mouth tissues may be performed.
Why Should You Consult a Pediatric Dentist Instead of a General Dentist?
Usually, general dentists are mainly concerned with adult teeth and adult dental health issues. In contrast, pediatric dentists are concerned only with children's teeth, mixed dentition, and occasionally with adults with special needs.
Children can benefit from seeing their pediatric dentist for a number of reasons, including:
● They are specially trained to make the whole dentistry experience calmer and happier for children. Their goal is to ensure that they are entirely comfortable during the appointment, so they are more likely to be relaxed and happy throughout the visit.
● They can address dental issues attributed to habits like thumb sucking and teeth grinding (which can cause oral problems in the later stages of life).
● They know the growth of children and of the changes they undergo. As a child grows into an adult, their body undergoes many changes, including changes in their jaw.
All the stages of physical growth that a child goes through before reaching adulthood are familiar to pediatric dentists. They can help guarantee a healthy smile at all stages of development.
Dental Care Services Offered by Pediatric Dentistry
Dental care provided by pediatric dentists include:
● Examinations of infants' oral health, which evaluate the risk for caries in mother and child.
● Advice on bad habits (excessive thumb sucking and constant pacifier use).
● The early assessment and treatment of proper bite and straightening of teeth (orthodontics), in addition to repairing cavities and defects.
● Management of gum diseases and conditions, including ulcers, short frenulum, mucoceles, and pediatric periodontal disease.
● Treatment of dental injuries (e.g., fractured, displaced, or knocked-out teeth).
Why Should You Get an Appointment With a Pediatric Dentist Early?
Pediatric dentists know how to conduct dental examinations and treatment in a way that is comfortable for children. Unlike adults, children can have difficulties being patient and cooperative.
A pediatric dentist's office is designed and decorated for children, and all the equipment is specially modified to treat children. A pediatric dentist can ensure your child gets the best possible care when your pediatrician recommends that your child receive a dental examination.
At Varni Dental, our dedicated team of dental experts led by Dr. Kinjal Patel, backed by her 15 years of experience working in the Bay Area, offers personalized dental care services. For more details and appointments, give us a call at (408) 901-0101, book online, or visit us at 181 E Tasman Dr. Suite 60, San Jose, CA 95134.